How to File an "Out As Shown" Letter of Map Amendment

When a structure or property is clearly outside the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) as shown on the effective Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM), an Out As Shown Letter of Map Amendment (OAS-LOMA) can be requested from FEMA. Certification by a professional surveyor or engineer is not required.

In order to request an OAS LOMA an MT-EZ or MT-1 form must be filled out and submitted to FEMA's Letter of Map Change (LOMC) Clearinghouse. For a single structure or property, the MT-EZ form can be submitted. For multiple structures or properties, the MT-1 form, should be submitted.

In addition to the completed MT-EZ or MT-1 form, all requests must include the following:

    • a cover letter explaining that the request is for an OAS LOMA;
    • a copy of the property deed (with recordation data and stamp of the Recorder's Office)
    • a tax assessor's map or other suitable map showing the property location with respect to local streets and watercourses; and
    • a copy of the effective FIRMette.

All OAS LOMA requests should be sent to the following address:

LOMC Clearinghouse

7390 Coca Cola Dr., Suite 200

Hanover, MD 21076

More detailed instructions are available on the Association of State Floodplain Managers website.